Located in the village of South Harting, West Sussex, occupying a perfect setting at the foot of the South Downs, this magnificent stone building is an impressive example of a traditional barn.
Our initial project was to completely remove the roof and install acoustic soundproofing. When the roof tiles were reinstated, it was important to use original decorative finishes and to retain the historic appearance of the battens on the interior.
Subsequently, we were commissioned to recreate a two storey flint and brick built porch to match the existing porch in every respect. The porch was constructed with hand dressed limestone walling to the interior, jointed and bedded in soft lime mortar. To match the original, we used salvaged bricks with a mix of knapped and un-knapped flint work bedded in soft lime mortar. Just like the builders in the 1600’s, the flints were sourced and hand picked from nearby fields.
The roof was constructed in green oak and finished with reclaimed tiles to match existing. We think it’s hard to tell the 300 year old porch from the modern one.