In the recent weeks, we were asked to look at a further tragedy for a thatch which had caught fire destroying the roof and interior. It was a hillside cottage remote from the road but the fire brigade had responded quickly to reduce the extent of the damage to the property and occupants who were safe and unharmed.
We were called out by loss adjusters who requested the building to be cleared of thatch and debris to allow a weatherproof roof at the earliest.
These works are in progress and the building is now protected from the weather and secure.
The property will require an architectural scheme to be presented to the conservation department together with a report from Ian Payne the renowned engineer to re-create and salvage the design of the oak framing.
The planning process is a necessary step in the protection of heritage and listed buildings and provides security of the structure & the value of the property for the future, but it can be a lengthy period for all parties. In addition, the roof to the property will be rebuilt using the ’Dorset Model’ fire protection set below the thatch line and the chimney lined correctly.
We will update progress of the rebuild if we are to be retained for the rebuild, but in meantime, please note the attached photos showing the damage caused to the property in a matter of hours.
Most thatch fires are caused by electrical faults and chimney fires. It is essential to have wiring checked on an annual basis and ensure that any linings are installed by a HETAS registered company such as www.bryanfrostchimneys.com
Once the fire takes hold in the chimney, either sparks ignite the thatch if the stack is low on the ridge or the body of the stack heats up and ignites the thatch from below.
Electrical fires can be caused by rodent damage which exposes bare wiring leading slow ignition.
If you require any advice on protection your property, please do call us.